Saturday, March 1, 2014

40 years?

How it is possible that in less than 10 days I will turn 40? To be cliche, it feels like just yesterday that I was 25. I guess time really does fly when you're having fun - or just living life!

As I teenager, I remember thinking that 40 was ancient - that no one had a life at 40. Thankfully, I realize now that thought was incorrect! Over the past 40 years I have learned patience, found a stronger faith in God, and learned to bite my tongue more often. I am certainly more assertive than aggressive, have more wisdom to offer, and have acquired a taste for red wine. My life no longer centers around me but revolves around my family and those whom I hold dearest. I realize being alone is not the same as feeling lonely; that love at first sight does exist (DAVID!); that it's okay to leave the laundry for a week; that I cannot be perfect at anything. My microwave needs to be cleaned again, my dog sheds too much (so does the fluffy cat), my mom really knows a lot about life, and life is fleeting. As 40 creeps closer and closer, I realize that my parents are getting older and won't be here forever like I thought when I was little. But, my mom still makes me chicken noodle soup when I am sick and my dad calls me at night to check on me.

As I enter the last week of my 30s, I will celebrate the people around me who love me just as I am. And I will love my age, despite my trepidation of turning the big 4-0. Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment